The 2019 6th Term Dharma Assistant Selection Rules
|The 2019 6th Term Dharma Assistant Selection Rules
(These rules are in accordance with the ''Regulations Governing Dharma Instructors and Dharma Assistants'' in the True Buddha School (TBS) By-laws.)
- Registration Period
Not later than Jan. 18, 2019 (Seattle Time). True Buddha Foundation (TBF) will not process applications received after this date.
- Registration Location
TBF office in Seattle or Taiwan
- Seattle Address: True Buddha Foundation, Seattle Office, 7110 NE 40th Court, Redmond, WA 98052, U.S.A.
Tel: 1(425) 885-7573 Fax: 1(425) 883-2173
- Taiwan Address: True Buddha Foundation, Taiwan Office, 54264 No. 100, LianSheng Lane, Shanjiao Village, Tsao-Tun Township, Nantou County, Taiwan, 54264, R.O.C.
TEL: +886-49-2312992 FAX: +886-49-2350801
- Registration Method
- If there is a local Vajrayana Association or Vajrayana Buddhist Council (Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia), applicants must mail the three documents listed below in the ''V. Registration Documents'' to the local Vajrayana Association/Vajrayana Buddhist Council prior to Jan. 10, 2019. The local Vajrayana Association/Vajrayana Buddhist Council will assist in collecting and submitting all registration documentation to TBF offices no later than Jan. 18, 2019.
- Where there is no Vajrayana Association/Vajrayana Buddhist Council, applicants are requested to mail the three documents listed in the ''V. Registration Documents'' to TBF offices prior to Jan. 18, 2019.
- Email: email@example.com
- Requirements for Applicants
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a TBS lay disciple who has taken refuge for more than three years, in overall good countenance and good health, non-smoking, non-drinking, non-gambling (no other like bad habits), and no criminal record.
- No family objections or debts.
- Must be familiar with the Four Preliminaries, eight personal deity practices, simple karma practices, etc.
- To participate in the selection examination, candidates must have a letter of recommendation to TBF from a TBS temple, chapter, or cultivation association. Candidates who pass the examination will be qualified as a TBS Dharma Assistant. Letters of recommendation from masters or reverends are not acceptable.
- Each temple, chapter, or cultivation association may recommend a maximum of two candidates for participation in dharma assistant selection.
- Practice and recitation prerequisites for applicants (must have completed all of the following):
- 1,000,000 recitations of the Padmakumara Heart Mantra
- 1,000 recitations of the High King Sutra
- 10,000 recitations of the long One Hundred Syllable Mantra
- 200 sessions of Repentance Practice
- Registration Documents
- Dharma Assistant Application Form
Download Dharma Assistant Application Forms from the following website: http://tbsn.org/chinese2/fileslist.php and fill it out with two photos attached.
- Letter of Recommendation from cultivation venue
- Must be written on official stationery of the cultivation venue.
- The heading of the official stationery must have the letterhead of the cultivation venue.
- The body of recommendation letter is the content of the recommendation from the board of directors of the cultivation venue. The content of the letter of recommendation must be approved by a resolution passed during a meeting of the board of directors.
- The concluding portion of the letter of recommendation must have the official seal of the cultivation venue and the signatures of the members of the board of directors.
- Questionnaire for Dharma Assistant Candidates
Applicants are requested to download and fill out the Questionnaire for Dharma Assistant Candidates from the tbsn.org download area at the following website: http://tbsn.org/chinese2/fileslist.php.
- Qualification Review
Applicants must register in accordance with the rules outlined in I - V above. After applications are reviewed and approved by the TBF Core Committee, an admission ticket, dharma instructor/dharma assistant basic examination materials, and an examination flow chart will be issued to the applicants.
- 2019 Dharma Assistant Training Date and Location, and Date of Examination:
Venue: Rainbow Temple
Training date: June 17 (Mon.)
Examination date: June 18 (Tue.)
Venue: Indonesia Lei Tsang Temple
Training date: June 25 (Tue.)
Examination date: June 26 (Wed.)
Venue: Prajna Lei Tsang Temple
Training date : July 5 (Fri.)
Examination date: July 6 (Sat.)
Venue: Taiwan Lei Tsang Temple
Training date: July 13 (Sat.)
Examination date: July 14 (Sun.)
- Language of Examination
Chinese, English, Indonesian (Please select one of above)
- Scope of Examination
- Recite True Buddha Sutra from memory. Write High King Sutra from memory.
- The essence of the True Buddha Sutra and Heart Sutra.
- Scope of dharma propagation (Please see the dharma assistant section of the ''Scope of Dharma Propagating Activity Chart for all Levels of TBS Dharma Propagating Personnel''.)
- Conducting group cultivation: sadhanas of the Four Preliminaries, Guru Yoga, eight personal deities practice, repentance practice, protection practices, karma practices, deity's birthday celebration, offering practice, etc.
- Conducting dharma activities: sutra recitation, rituals of releasing animals, etc.
- Blessing: rituals of consecration, purification, groundbreaking, incense blessing of Great Compassion Dharani Water, blessing items with vajra sceptre and vajra bell, drawing talismans, etc.
- Conducting ceremonies: ceremonies of fire offering, water offering etc. Hymns of True Buddha Repentance, Great Compassion Repentance, Water Repentance, Pure Land Repentance, Medicine Buddha Repentance, etc.
- Workshops: hymns, Five Basic Precepts, Vajrayana Fourteen Root Precepts, 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion, content of refuge and precept certificates, and seven-chakra exercise.
- Basic examination materials for Dharma Instructors and Dharma Assistants (supplied to candidates by TBF)
- Examination Scoring Weight Written exam, 50 points; Hymning, 20 points; Interview, 30 points
- Dharma Assistant Term of Appointment
- A dharma assistant certificate is valid for 3 years.
- TBF will review dharma assistant qualifications every three years. There is no limit on the number of times a dharma assistant who passes each review may renew an appointment.
- A dharma assistant must serve at the originally recommending cultivation venue. Service at any other cultivation venue is not permitted.
- A dharma assistant is required to work together with the cultivation venue to promote dharma affairs and propagate the True Buddha dharma.
- The board of directors is authorized to terminate relations with a dharma assistant. Such termination of service must be passed by a resolution of the board of directors of the cultivation venue, and a written report provided to TBF for their review and reply. TBF will administer the notice of termination.
Translated by True Buddha Translation Team
Translator: Henry Wolf
Editor: DJ Chang